Wednesday 14 November 2012

Attempt #15: Mexican-style Corn

Hola! to Mexican-style corn.

Corn, to me is simply a magic ingredient. It does wonders for soups, stews, BBQ and who doesn’t love a hot-buttered corn on cob? And now I found a new recipe for corn on cob. A little bit of chile and loads of grated parmesan cheese on the traditional hot-buttered corn just makes it sexier.

The Result:
 

Overall, can’t go wrong with corn on cob.
Usually, I would steamed my corn but as the recipe calls for boiling them, I did just that. However, I find that I get too worked up trying to ensure that the corn is not left in the boiling water for too long as then the nutrients and sweetness will be absorbed into the boiling water but yet I needed the corn to be soft enough.
In the end, the corn was not tender enough and also not as sweet as it would have been if I were to steam them. Lesson learnt: Steam them!

Recipe (serve 4):

Boil 4 heads of corn on the cob in salted, boiling water for 8-10 minutes with a lid on the pan. When tender, drain in a colander.

Grate ¾ cup of Parmesan cheese (or more if you like them to be more cheesy! J) over the surface of a large serving platter or over individual serving plates.

Halve seed and finely chop 1 fresh red chilli and sprinkle evenly over the cheese. Place a little pat of butter on each cob and brush over the corn to coat. When the butter has melted, roll each cob in the cheese and chile, so the flavours stick to the outside.

Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.

No comments:

Post a Comment